Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation Review!!!

Review Time!!!!

Hello my bewitching beauties! Today lets talk foundation! In particular the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hr  Foundation!


I had seen a lot of people reccommending this on various beauty sites and forums that I frequent so I just had to see what all the fuss was about. I headed into my local Sephora and grabbed a tube in my shade to test out.

I've wore this baby for about a week straight and have tried applying it several different ways to see which application I like the best, which works best, and to see if it really makes a difference in the end result. 

Texture:

The texture of this foundation is a little different from your usual liquid foundation. It has a thicker and somewhat whipped consistency and once you start to apply and feel the texture of the product as it spreads around it feels very silky, something akin to the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation.

Coverage:

I would definetely say this is a full coverage foundation. It can be sheered out though if you want to see more of your skin peeking through. The coverage really has a lot to do with how you apply it as well, I found with fingers, stippling brush, and flat top kabuki brush you got a very full coverage look and with a damp sponge it would be a little more sheered out obviously.

Finish:

This foundation definetely has a somewhat dewy finish to it. It has no chunks of glitter or shimmer in it like some dewy foundations. You can mattify it with some powder though if you prefer a more matte finish.

Breakouts?

I actually had no breakouts or irritations from this foundation what-so-ever! I know that it prides itself on being very natural and good for the skin and I certainly didnt have any adverse reactions from it even though it is on the thicker side.

Price:

If you're interested in this foundation I definetely reccommend going to Sephora and getting a sample to try out and find your correct shade. If you do end up falling in love with this product I highly recommend ordering it from QVC where you can get a single tube of foundation AND the foundation brush designed for it for several dollars less than you would pay at Sephora for just the foundation. The brush alone at Sephora is $32!!! You can also order double foundation with brush or the foundation in a set with other items from Tarte on QVC as well. Sephora doesnt give you that luxury and neither does Ulta. I would consider this a mid ranged highend product. It's certainly more pricey than drugstore foundations but there are several other high end brands that are obviously far more expensive as well. Depending on where you decide to get this from expect to pay anywhere from $35 to $40 for 1.7 oz of product. 

Shade Range:

Even though there isnt a MASSIVE range of shades in this foundation I was actually very surprised to find one that works for my INSANELY pale skin! My color was the lightest they had Fair. It comes in 8 shades and they seem to be pretty forgiving and easy to make work with various undertones. Unfortunately, if you are a woman of DEEP color you may not be able to find a shade that works for you in this foundation since the darkest shade they have is not incredibly dark. 

What It Claims:

This 12 hour foundation claims to give you long wear, lightweight feel with full coverage, have a wide range of shades, and be very buildable. I feel like it does deliver on most of these claims. It does feel lightweight to give as much coverage as it does and I found that it did truly last a very long time! I didn't have to reapply or touch up at all throughout the day. That being said I do have drier skin so I'm pretty positive that someone with oilier skin is not going to get as long of a wear time out of this as I did. What this product didn't live up to was the range of shades and buildability. To me 8 shades is not a "wide range". I am thankful that they do have a truly very VERY light shade for all of us super pale lovelies but I feel like the gorgeous African American gals with that truly dark skin got the short end of the deal where this foundation is concerned. As for the buildability...um no...To me buildability means that I can apply one layer and if that isn't enough I can then go over and apply another layer and it wont look cakey it will just give me more coverage. If you need more coverage with this then just apply a slightly thicker layer from the get go because if you try to apply another layer over the first it will not look nice at all and will not blend as well. You can build in small sections by dabbling a little bit more on the apples of your cheeks to cover hyperpigmentation or on a spot that cropped up but to actually do a complete second layer it just isnt going to work as well.

How I Applied It:

I've tried applying this foundation several ways and honestly I dont think there is truly a "horrible" way to apply this foundation. It honestly just depends on the coverage you want.


A little of this product goes a long way!!! To cover my whole face I only used about a dime sized amount and that still gave me full coverage.


For the most coverage I recommend applying with your fingers then going over it with a flat top kabuki to lightly buff it in any spots that need blending.


Applying with a stippling brush will give you a medium to full coverage look but it does require a lot more work. There's just something about the consistency of this foundation that streaks really bad with a stippling brush so you have to work harder to blend out all the little brush strokes.


For a sheered out look you can either apply less product, add a little moisturizer, or simply use a damp sponge. You can always go back and dab a little extra over the spots that need more coverage just dont try to do a whole second layer.

With or without a primer you're going to get a good wear time out of this. If you are on the more oilier side or will be doing an activity where you may be sweating I would recommend going with a primer to help it stick better and also to help mattify your skin.

My favorite way to wear this foundation was with no primer, applied with my fingers and buffed with the flat top brush lightly (so as not to micro exfoliate my dry skin), light to NO powder, and then a light mist of setting spray. For me this gave the dewiest look achieveable and since I have dry skin I want a very dewy glowy look. Even though this foundation does have a naturally dewy appearance you can always matte it down with some powder no problem. 

Overview:


So far I really like this foundation! It took a little bit for me to get used to the consistency of it since I'm mostly use to straight up liquid foundations but now that I have gotten accustomed to it I find it rather nice. As I said before if you are interested in this product I would recommend getting a sample of it from Sephora and then ordering from QVC. I know that sounds like a bit of a hassle but you honestly get a better deal that way! I have not tried using the foundation with the brush designed for it but I have looked and felt of the brush and I think it will work wonderfully with the foundation since it is a very dense brush much like the flat top kabuki I love using with this product.

I hope you all found this review helpful and if there was anything I left out that you would like to know please leave a comment down below and I will be happy to answer your questions! :)

Amazonian bear hugs!
Natalie

3 comments:

  1. That is a great tip to get it from QVC instead, I just might do that! Thanks
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I actually like this foundation. I'm happy the deep shade works with my skin tone. I did a video review of it. http://youtube.com/user/makeupbykimporter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great review I also did a review http://melbeauty247.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete